Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Upcoming Activation: Pilot Knob (W6/SD-435)

Pilot Knob, just a few miles from the Arizona, California, and Mexican borders.  Image captured from the SOTA Goat App.
I'm planning on activating Pilot Knob (W6/SD-435) next Sunday.  Look at SOTAWatch Alerts for updates.  Wikipedia article about Pilot Knob here.

It's a volcanic plug, which makes sense given that the Chocolate Mountains to the north are volcanic in origin.  Other volcanic plug mountains I've activated include Bishop Peak (W6/SC-339) and Black Hill (W6/SC-378).  These two peaks are a part of a series of peaks between Morro Rock (itself a volcanic plug) and San Luis Obispo.  But enough about that...

I once attempted to activated Pilot Knob before, but my time was limited and I ended up hiking up a dead-end trail without making it to the summit.  I had to give up for lack of time.

I should have more time available for me to do this activation.

I'm using the helpful "Hiking Guide to Trails in the Yuma Area," by Geo Montopoli to assist with planning the ascent.  See pages 66-68 of the PDF for more info on Pilot Knob.

I'll be APRS-capable, so watch for my breadcrumbs as N0PCL-7.  I'll be phone & CW capable on all bands from 40 meters through 70 centimeters (including 222 MHz.).  I'm also going to try out a new counterpoise for a portable HF antenna, so I may be able to load it up on 60 or 80 meters, albeit very inefficiently.  This will also be the first time I try using the WLB-817 battery system in the field.

We'll see how it goes.

73.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet! I look forward to hearing how it went and if I'm lucky I'll find you on the bands..hike safe - KG6HQD - Jerry

    ReplyDelete